The Academy of Leisure Sciences (ALS) is dedicated to the advancement of leisure studies. Its primary purpose is to bring together people from diverse backgrounds, academic and otherwise, who share a mutual interest in better understanding the roles of leisure in life, including various contexts of recreation, park, tourism, outdoor adventure, health and therapy, and sport. Membership is open to all scholars, educators, and students in the diverse field of leisure studies, and all members participate in the Academy’s growth and development by serving on committees, standing for governing offices, and otherwise creating the Academy’s future. We want to build a caring and connected professional community. Here are several reasons for leisure-related scholars to join ALS:
- Belong to a worldwide network of people interested in advancing leisure studies.
- Take an active role in decision-making and steering ALS in directions relevant to your scholarship.
- Receive discounted rates to ALS-sponsored teaching workshops and research symposia.
- Receive discounts from various vendors who sponsor ALS (e.g., Sagamore Publishing), and a complimentary electronic copy of Schole: A Journal of Leisure Studies and Recreation Education or PALAESTRA.
- Support the Future Scholars Endowment Fund with a portion of your annual membership dues.
Enjoy the satisfaction of becoming a founding member of the newly reconstituted ALS by joining us right now!